The US GenWeb Project

Proud to be part of The USGenWeb Project

Ordering Confederate Records

To obtain copies of service records and pension records, follow the instructions below.

The NATF 80 has been replaced by two new forms, the NATF 85 for military pension and bounty land warrant applications and the NATF 86 for military service records for Army veterans who were discharged prior to 1912.

All genealogical forms (NATF 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, SF 180) must be requested from the NARA website.

Confederate Pension Records
Confederate Pension Records are held by the state where the pensioner lived when the application was filed. The State Libraries or Archives are the usual depositories for these records. Most Confederate state pensions were means tested--the applicant had to be near destitute to qualify. As a result, many Confederate soldiers never applied for such pensions. To determine whether your ancestor applied for a pension write the state archives where he lived after the war.

There is a three volume index to the applications for pensions that may be available in many Mississippi libraries. Pension records can be ordered from the Mississippi Dept of Archives & History in Jackson.

When you write to determine if your ancestor or his beneficiary applied for a pension it is again helpful to have the letter company and numbered regiment in which he served, as well as his wife's name.

As you receive your information, if your ancestor served in a Richland regiment, please submit to the Parish Coordinator. I will post your serviceman's name with your email address attached.

Quick Links


Contact Us

If you have questions, contributions, or problems with this site, email:

Parish Coordinator

State Coordinator: Jo Branch

Co-State Coordinator: Edward Hayden

Questions or Comments?

If you have questions or problems with this site, email the Parish Coordinator. Please do not ask for specfic research on your family. I am unable to do your personal research. I do not live in Louisiana and do not have access to additional records.