St. John the Baptish Parish
Louisiana
   
Home   About us    Biographies    Black History    Cemeteries    Census    Family Histories                               

Historic Places   Maps   Military    Obituaries    Helpful Links                      


index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind



St. John Parish History
St. John the Baptist Parish was created March 31, 1807, by an act of
the Orleans Territory Legislature, and was one of the original 19
parishes of the Territory of Orleans, which became the state of
Louisiana. The parish was named for Saint John the Baptist
Catholic Church in Edgard, the parish seat. The original church
was built in 1772 and has been rebuilt several time.

The largest community in the parish is LaPlace. Other communities
include Garyville, Lucy, Mt. Airy, Reserve and Wallace. The parish is
known as the "Heart of the River Parishes" because of its location in the
center of those parishes that span both sides of the Mississippi River
between New Orleans and the state capitol of Baton Rouge.


USGenWeb was established in 1996 by a group of genealogists who shared a desire to create online centers for genealogical research. Each of our literally thousands of web sites have been created and are maintained by volunteers whose goal is provide FREE genealogical material to every researcher.



The new LAGenWeb volunteer coordinators for St. John the Baptist Parish are
Jim Cox and Margie Pearce.

The state LAGenWeb coordinators are
Jo Branch and Edward Hayden.


Free website hit counter


Visit our neighbors
St. Charles Parish GenWeb
St. James Parish GenWeb
Ascension Parish GenWeb
Lafourche Parish GenWeb
Tangipahoa Parish GenWeb

All material on this site @ by LAGenWeb
and may be used for non-profit personal and educational purposes only.